HAPPY NEW YEAR! Can you believe it’s 2018?! I swear the older you get the quicker time flies haha! This year I made the resolution to start taking better care of myself. To get outside more, to eat better, drink more water and just get back into really good shape. I think it will make me feel better which in turn will make me be a better wife, mother and friend. I used to be a total gym rat and I loved to work out so much. During our whole struggle to get pregnant and then during my pregnancy I kind of lost that part of me. It’s crazy what infertility struggles can do to you both mentally and physically.
I’m so ready to get myself back on track and start taking better care of myself. I’ve been working out regularly for a few weeks now and I already feel so much better. Sometimes it’s just a few changes here and there that can make a huge difference at the end of the week. I’m sharing a few tips here that have worked so far for helping me get back on track. Hopefully they will help you too!
1. Get moving- So this is probably the biggest tip! Even if you don’t like the gym or if you are intimidated by the gym and all the equipment, just start walking outside. I walked miles and miles every day when I was pregnant, even when I was 41 weeks pregnant I was still walking several miles a day. It just makes you feel better. Now I run a few miles a few times a week with my baby and dog in tow! I get to the gym when I can for weights but between my husband’s crazy work schedule and not having anyone to watch my baby for me I don’t beat myself up if I don’t make it to the gym.
2. Eat this not that- I’ve tried to start substituting a lot of foods I used to eat for healthier options. Cutting processed carbs always makes me feel better and less bloated. I still love eating healthy carbs like sweet potatoes and brown rice though. We usually do pizza night on Friday night. We buy the dough from Trader Joe’s and make our own pizzas. Recently I found a cauliflower crust and now I make my hubby a regular pizza but make myself a cauliflower crust pizza with a little cheese and veggies. It tastes just like regular pizza but without all the guilt. Even my 1 year old loves it! I also substitute spaghetti squash for pasta whenever we have spaghetti and lettuce wraps in place of tortilla shells when we have fajitas. I also like to throw in some spinach to my eggs or shakes to add in some extra greens wherever I can.
3. Buy new workout clothes- Who doesn’t like working out when you have cute workout clothes?! HAHA! Honestly I don’t spend a lot on workout clothes. I have a pair of really good Lululemon pants that I love and I just got THESE which I like even better… and they are about half the price. I invest in my workout pants because they make me feel better. As far as workout tops and sports bras, I get 90% of mine at Forever 21. They have so many cute workout clothes at really cheap prices. When they start getting icky just throw them out and get new ones. I linked up a few really cute options too! I just got THESE shoes for running and oh my goodness they are AMAZING! So lightweight and comfy, I want to wear them all the time! They are on sale for less than $60 too!
4. Make a new playlist on your phone- I love me some Adele but there’s nothing worse than being 3 miles into your run chugging along and then an Adele song comes on and messes up your whole flow. It’s best to do a playlist of songs that get you pumped up and shuffle them during your workout. If you plan on working out for 30 mins, make sure your playlist is at least 30 mins long. I love new songs and classics. A few of my favorites that pump me up are Nirvana (Smells like Teen Spirit), Fall Out Boy (Beat It), Metallica (Enter Sandman), Dillion Francis (Get Low), and Britney Spears (Work B**ch)
5. Meal plan! My hubby and I have been meal prepping for years. We used to prep all our meals for the week on Sunday so everything was already ready to go. Since I stopped working to stay home with my baby I try to have more fresh meals prepared for dinners. Everyone gets tired of leftovers. Before I go to the grocery store each week I write down what we’re going to have for dinner every night. I try to make at least 1-2 meals a week that will last us 2 nights. One of my go-to meals is crock pot chicken fajitas. I also love veggie chili. I’ll share some easy recipes here soon too.
6. Drink water! I’m so guilty of this. It’s easy to get busy through the day and forget to drink enough water. I can always tell if I’m not drinking enough because my skin gets dry and itchy. I started using a 32oz water bottle and it’s my goal to drink at least 2 of them in a day… 1 whole bottle before noon and another one in the afternoon. Ideally working out you should drink even more, but for now I’m trying to get myself back to drink at least 64oz of water a day. It’s best to have a cup that shows the ounces to help keep track.
7. Include the family! My last tip is to get a workout buddy, or include your family! Having a workout buddy makes working out more fun. My hubby and I always used to go to the gym together. Some days we would do weights or cardio together but other days just being in the gym at the same time is enough. It’s the same with running outside. My husband’s pace is so much faster than mine and he’s training for a half marathon so his runs are much faster and longer than mine. I use my BOB running stroller and take my dog and baby and we have our own little workout group. My pup has done so good keeping with my pace and she’s such a good workout buddy. It’s hard to tire out a German Shepherd but after our runs she is so much more relaxed throughout the day so I know it’s beneficial for her too.